Photobucket

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Military Memorial

I just attended my first military memorial. The PFC was a friend of my husbands who he had deployed with and had been stationed with at Wainwright and PCS'd with to Bliss. He was in a car accident a few weeks back and was in a coma for about a week and a half. Then passed on.

I guess I should have asked my husband what to expect.

I personally had never me him but was on the verge of tears the entire time. Not only were the boots, gun, and helmet  with his dog tags there but they did a "Roll Call." Then the firing of the guns. When they had said to stand for the roll call I thought that they were going to call out the people on his squad. I was wrong. They called two people who responded then called the PFC who cold not responded. I had no idea this was done. Then the firing of the guns.

What bothers me most about his death is this. The entire time we worry about our SO, family member or friends while they are deployed. Then they make it home and we thank our gods, or whatever you believe in, and we think we are in the clear until the next deployment. However does anyone actually stop and think that even though they are on our soil in our free country that something we think is a normal daily activity will be the end. Yes we all know that people pass away doing "normal" daily activities but as a military wife I don't wake up in the morning and look at my husband and say he could die today by doing the same thing he does everyday. But when he was deployed I was constantly worried about if he was okay, go a day without hearing from him and I would be going crazy.

I know this is life and all but honestly it sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers